Fork 2 Farm Relief + Restocking Grants
As the COVID-19 pandemic ravages small businesses, the fate of our independent restaurants and ag-related retailers are inextricably linked with our region’s small farms. These businesses rely on local small farms for fresh produce, meats, and ingredients to create the unparalleled farm-to-fork menus and products that have inspired our regional identity. With restaurants and retailers that sell products supplied from our local agriculture community struggling to stay open and remain financially viable during this pandemic, the farms that rely on their patronage are also in crisis. Without help, they also face the difficult decision to cease operations, leaving a gap in the critical role they play in our community’s food supply chain.
Fork 2 Farm Relief + Restocking Grants are intended to support qualified small farms and provide restaurants and ag-related retailers with immediate debt relief and/or support to restock and prepare for expanded operations. While these grants are a short-term solution to what will be a longer-term issue, they are an important first part of our regional efforts to alleviate the total economic cost of this pandemic and preserve America’s Farm-to-Fork Capital.
Fork 2 Farm Relief + Restocking Grants will directly remit payment to nominated agricultural vendors/suppliers for current or past due invoices to alleviate the applicant’s debt in this expense category, provide much-needed cashflow to small farms and directly impact the sustainability of our community.
Photo Credit: Grange Restaurant & Bar
Fork 2 Farm Relief + Restocking Grants are available to Central City restaurants and ag-related retailers to cover the expense of current and past due invoices including invoices for restocking costs associated with re-opening or expanding services with goods supplied from qualified agricultural vendors/suppliers in our community. Invoices and expenses for alcohol are not eligible.
- Restaurants and retailers should be located within the Central City area defined as west of Alhambra Blvd, north of Broadway, south of Railyards Blvd and east of the Sacramento River,
- AND Have a lease term through at least December 31, 2020,
- AND Be current on lease payments through March 1, 2020.
- Qualified agricultural vendors/suppliers must be located in the six-county region (Yolo, Sacramento, Placer, Sutter, El Dorado, Yuba),
Congratulations to the first round of grantees!
Restaurants/Retailers: Magpie * Foundation Restaurant Bar & Grill * Hook & Ladder Manufacturing Co. * The Golden Bear * The Allspicery * Camden Spit & Larder * Mulvaney’s B&L * Solomon’s Delicatessen * Revolution Winery & Kitchen * Tipsy Putt * Tiger Bar & Restaurant * Tapa The World * House Kitchen & Bar * Red Rabbit * Lucca * The Rind * Tank House BBQ * Grange * Kimpton Sawyer * Capitol Garage * The Porch * Sellands Market Cafe Broadway * Ella
Farms: Produce Express * Dragon Gourmet Mushrooms * Watanabe * Azolla Farms * Backroad Beekeeping * Patrick’s Garden * McArdle * Sunh Fish Co. * Sysco * RW Seafood * Reeds Gourmet Meat * Root 64 * Heringer Vineyards * Seka Hills * General Produce * Lucky Dog Ranch * Passmore Ranch * Oakmont Earth Arts * The Bee Box * Bledsoe * V. Miller Meats * Richards Grassfed Beef * Williamson Farms * The Mushroom & Cheese Co.
Fork 2 Farm Relief + Restocking Grants are intended to meet an immediate need for urgent relief. After being reviewed for eligibility, all grant applications will be reviewed blindly by the selection committee consisting of representatives from the Downtown Sacramento Foundation, Visit Sacramento, Downtown Sacramento Partnership, and Bank of America. Awards will be made on a rolling basis weekly until funds are depleted.
- Fork 2 Farm Relief + Restocking Grants will be awarded as long as funds are available:
- Grants may be up to $4,000 per applicant or $5,000 (cumulative) per agricultural vendor/supplier.
- Grants will be paid directly to the agricultural vendor/supplier but should be nominated by the restaurant/retailer.
- Grants will be distributed by the Downtown Sacramento Foundation once all required documentation is received from the applicant and nominee.
- Not all requests may be awarded.
Grants are distributed by the Downtown Sacramento Foundation with support from Visit Sacramento and Downtown Sacramento Partnership, through funding from Bank of America.