Think Big, Shop Small… Community Encouraged to Support Local Retailers in Downtown Sacramento on Small Business Saturday and All Through the Holidays
(November 25, 2020) – With safety measures in place throughout the Central City, the Downtown Sacramento Partnership, DOCO (Downtown Commons), Midtown Association and R Street Partnership are once again joining efforts to share exciting information about a variety of special Small Business Saturday activities, offerings and amenities launching for holiday shoppers on Saturday, November 28, 2020. Part of the year-round Shop Small concept, Small Business Saturday is highlighted as a national day to celebrate the ongoing effort to help local communities thrive – especially in this critically important year when small business need more support than ever.
In 2019, shoppers came together to support their local communities in amazing ways. The 10th Annual Small Business Saturday hit a record high with an estimated $19.6 billion in reported spending. Helping to make shopping in Sacramento’s urban core even more fun and convenient than ever in 2020, the City of Sacramento will continue to offer free metered parking on weekdays after 4:30 p.m. and all day on weekends as well as more than a dozen free curbside pick-up parking zones across the Central City.
To get started, shoppers are encouraged to stop by one of the Small Business Saturday “Welcome Stations” on Saturday, November 28 to pick up complimentary canvas Shop Small by American Express tote bags (while supplies last):
- Gallegos Square Holiday Market (1125 11th Street) – Shoppers can load their totes with prepackaged gifts and DIY kits at the one-day outdoor holiday market hosted by The Allspicery from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.;
- DOCO/Downtown Commons (405 K Street) – With the plaza and shops open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Small Business Saturday, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., guests can pick-up a DOCO or KINGS tote with a surprise DOCO merchant gift card inside at a special station set up in lower West Plaza near Getta Clue Store, and can Spin the Wheel on the Terrace for gift card giveaways (all while supplies last). Plus, plaza guests will enjoy a Pop-Up Fly Market with local brand vendors and artists, and music by DJ Oasis and more from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.;
- Sacramento Visitors Center at the Old Sacramento Waterfront (1002 Second Street) – Visitors can find shopping directories and helpful information about nearby holiday activities from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Businesses in the Central City have special offers and activities planned for Small Business Saturday on November 28 with many downtown businesses extending their specials on Saturdays through December 26. Small Business Saturday specials on November 28 (or longer as indicated), includes:
Downtown Sacramento/DOCO/Old Sacramento Waterfront (November 28 only, unless otherwise specified)
- Allspicery (1125 11th Street) – Shoppers can receive 1 oz mulling spice with orders over $50;
- Beach Hut Deli (711 K Street) – Customers receive free chip and soda coupon with regular menu item purchase and $3 first pint of any 20 tap handles (November 28, December 5, 12, 19 & 26);
- Blu Nile Art & Tana Vivian At & Design (1112 2nd Street) – Shoppers can find different discounts and sales every week through Dec. 26;
- California Loan & Jewelry (916 J Street) – Shoppers receive 15 to 50 percent off purchases through Dec. 26;
- Capital Agenda/DOCO – Shoppers can buy one, get one 50 percent off on all t-shirts;
- Capital Books (1011 K Street) – For every $50 in gift certificates, shoppers will receive a free $10 gift certificate;
- Falafel Corner (1004 J Street) – Customers can purchase any wrap, fries and drink for $10 or spend $15 and get three chicken wings free or spend $20 and get 18 chicken wings for $10 or buy one badmash burger and a drink and get fries free (limit one choice per customer) (Nov. 28, Dec. 5, 12, 19 & 26);
- Fizz Champagne & Bubbles Bar/DOCO – Shoppers will receive a free $25 gift card when they spend $100 or get a free $10 gift card when they spend $50;
- Getta Clue Store/DOCO – Shoppers can enjoy a BOGO 50 percent off anything in the store, some exclusions apply;
- G Rossi Florist (1208 J Street): Shoppers receive a discount by snapping a picture in front of the store front then share and tag G Rossi Florist social media (Nov. 28, Dec. 5, 12, 19 & 26);
- Identity Boutique/DOCO – Shoppers receive free swag bags for the first 20 customers on November 28 only plus pop into the shop to take a selfie on the in-store swing that will be decked out for the holidays;
- Mea Vita (121 K Street) – Shoppers can enjoy a 20 percent discount on clothing for Small Business Saturdays, plus a free scarf with purchases over $300;
- Old Soul (555 Capitol Mall) – Shoppers can pay it forward with a $2 donation to My Sister’s House with the purchase of every bag/jar of High Hopes Blend or $2 donation to the Sacramento Food Bank & Family Services with the purchase of every bag/jar of Do Good Drink Well Blend;
- Poke Ichii/DOCO – customers can enjoy 15 percent off their entire purchases;
- Polanco Cantina/DOCO – Shoppers receive 25 percent off $100 gift cards (purchase a $100 gift card for $75) or 20 percent off $25 gift cards (purchase a $25 gift card for $20);
- Stage Nine Family of Fine Stores (102 K Street) – Shoppers receive 25 percent off storewide when they mention “Small Business Saturday” at checkout at any of the five retail shops (November 28), then the following three Saturdays (December 5, 12 & 19), customers will receive valuable scratch-offs with discounts from 10 to 27 percent off (while supplies last) at all five retail shops. On December 26, shoppers receive 50 percent off during the “Annual After Christmas Sale”;
- Temple Coffee (1010 9th Street, 2200 K Street, 1615 16th Street) – Customers receive a free Temple Holiday Mug with the purchase of two 12-oz. bags of coffee and find holiday specials from Festivity Blend Beans to Ginger Snap Lattes and Ginger Snap Steamers (November 28, December 5, 12, 19 & 26);
- Vampire Penguin (907 K Street): Customers will receive $1 off any snow (November 28, December 5, 12, 19 & 26;
Plus, Holiday Window Décor Contest (various locations) – The community is invited to stroll through downtown and the Old Sacramento Waterfront to find holiday-inspired window displays and vote on a favorite by December 26. While strolling downtown, visitors can also participate in the Holiday Hunt November 27 – December 31 for a chance to win a “staycation” prize package. Participants can download the new downtown app to experience a fun, physically distant activity while supporting local businesses from www.GoDowntownSac.com. On December 19-20, shoppers can reserve a spot for Curbside Holiday (1011 & 1013 K Street where pre-purchased gifts from participating local retailers at Curbside.Holiday will be available for pickup by reservation with Santa bringing gifts to the car.
For more information about that national Small Business Saturday effort, please visit www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/shop-small/; for more about the free metered parking, please visit www.sacpark.org. For more about Downtown Sacramento, please visit www.GoDowntownSac.com/Holidays.