1-5 Riverfront Reconnection Project: March Update
Have you noticed the progress on the I-5 Riverfront Reconnection Project? If you’ve been to Old Sacramento recently, or driven along I-5, you may have noticed that the bridge is starting to come together! Crews worked hard over the holiday season, and the project remains on track for completion this fall 2016 ahead of the opening of the Golden 1 Center.
Ongoing activities include median work on Capitol Mall between 3rd Street and Front Street, installation of new traffic signal poles at the intersection of 3rd Street and Capitol Mall, and formwork and rebar for the 2nd Street Connector Bridge, which will provide a new entrance for cars, bicycles, and pedestrians into Old Sacramento from Capitol Mall. 2nd Street remains closed between Front and L Streets, and detours are still in place to help you navigate around the project area.
In addition to the 2nd Street Connector Bridge, green bike lanes, wider sidewalks, and planters will be added on Capitol Mall over I-5. The project also features construction of wider sidewalks and new pedestrian railings on the O Street Overcrossing Bridge over I-5, adjacent to the Crocker Art Museum.
Upcoming Construction Activities
Over the next four weeks, ongoing traffic signal and median work on Capitol Mall between 3rd and Front Streets will require intermittent daytime sidewalk closures and detours for pedestrians to the north or south side of Capitol Mall.
Mid March to Late April
A detour for pedestrians will be in place, directing foot traffic to the north side of Capitol Mall for six weeks.
Late April to Mid June
A detour for pedestrians will be in place, directing foot traffic to the south side of Capitol Mall for about two months.
- Formwork and rebar installation will continue, as crews build the main structure for the 2nd Street Connector.
- Median work continues on Capitol Mall. Two lanes of traffic remain open in each direction.
- 2nd Street between Front Street and L Street remains closed. A signed detour route is in place.
- Deck bridge sealant treatment on the O Street Bridge has been completed.
- Curb ramps on O Street between Front and 2nd Streets are completed.
- Track slab concrete has been placed on Capitol Mall.
- New traffic signal poles have been installed on Capitol Mall.
Additional information about the I-5 Riverfront Reconnection Project can be found at cityofsacramento.org/RiverFrontReconnect